Southern Vermont Orchards was originally established in 1910 by Edward Hamlin Everett. Edward Everett began his career as a bottle salesman for his stepfather, the inventor of the Lightning fruit jar (a predecessor to the Ball and Mason jar). Everett proved to be a gifted businessman. His innovations in the manufacturing of glass and his discovery of large deposits of gas and oil required to fuel these glass factories fostered huge success and great wealth.
The main Estate building was referred to as “The Orchard House” (now Southern Vermont College) was surrounded by 75,000 apple, 3,000 plum and 2,000 quince trees planted by Mr. Everett. The orchards covered the surrounding hillsides and extended southward for ten miles. On his land, he planted cherries, quince, pears and plums as well as 65 varieties of apples. Under his guidance Everett Orchards became the largest privately owned orchard in the world, renowned for its modern agricultural practice and high quality fruit.
Following Everett’s death in 1929 his property was gradually divided and sold. Today, Southern Vermont Orchards operates over 300 acres of orchard and continues to benefit from Everett’s wisdom. The location enables us to raise an apple of superior quality. Southern Vermont Orchards is proud to carry on the tradition of fine fruit established by Edward Everett.